Thursday 20 June 2013

lets get back to it then, shall we

DanO has gone into work exactly one day since December 19th. In 13 days, one day of “normal”. We have had so much together time and fun family adventures that I could fall backwards overcome with satisfaction at any moment.We ice skated.We went sledding. Or, pulling.We made whole family trips to zion Target. (OBrother was particularly stoked about this one.)We dressed up, sang carols, heard Great Grandpa read the Christmas story, and ate Swedish meatballs with extended family.LOTS of extended family.(Fun game: can you spot the triplets above? Two boys and a girl. Go!)We made forts and ate cookies in them.(Have you heard of WhoNu cookies? I saw them at the grocery store and they totally got me with their health claims – a serving of the chocolate sandwich cookies has as much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal, as much calcium as a glass of milk, and as much vitamin E as two cups of carrot juice. While I have no plans of replacing oatmeal, milk, or carrots with these puppies, I was pleased to find that the boys were none the wiser and were on cloud nine in their fort eating “oreos”.)We spent time being silly, wrestling, and playing with some of the Christmas gifts we were blessed with this year.We even sat down and purchased plane tickets for our trip to Disney World this February. (!!!!!!!!!!)Friends, it has been an unbelievable couple of weeks. But it has also been positively exhausting. This is partially because of our “seize the vacation” mentality, but partially because it just wasn’t our normal, you know? It’s hard to hit a stride when every single day brings something different. There is something so energizing to me about predictability.Wow, that sounds criminally boring. But it’s true. Well, maybe it’s not the predictability that is energizing, it’s the security I feel in knowing what to expect in regards to the events of the day, because let’s be honest, I never know what to expect from the boys.The boys and I had gotten into good rhythm of Monday, Wednesday, Friday trips to the YMCA – I had even gotten into a good workout rhythm of running, weight lifting, and spinning class. We have regular Thursday playdates, and Tuesdays we like to mix it up between staying home and grocery shopping.Today was DanO’s first day back in the office and the first day back to normal for us. We hit the YMCA, went to the grocery store, the boys took epic naps and tonight is date night.  I guess now that I write it out that sounds like a pretty mundane existence but trust me when I tell you it’s never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment